Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Appendicitis Gone Wild!!

For those of you who have heard through the grapevine and those of you that haven't...here is our latest news. On Thursday April 10th, I started having some pain in my lower right abdomen. I didn't want to rush to the ER, so I waited until Friday morning to see how I felt. When I woke up and the pain was still constant, I figured there was something really wrong. So, I went about our normal routine, got everyone ready, had naps, lunch, stopped at the park to visit a friend in town and then headed out to the ER. By the time I got there it was about 4:30 pm. After some blood tests and an ultra sound, the doctors determined it was appendicitis. When I finally got into surgery, it was about 9:30 pm. It was to be a fairly short surgery, so when I woke at about 1 am and was in some immense pain, I knew that things hadn't gone as planned. The nurse was trying to comfort me and tell me that they had to open me all the way up because they had found a mass inside. The next morning I learned that they had removed about a foot of my colon, the mass, my appendix and 4 inches of my small intestine. I was told they were treating it as cancer, but thought maybe it was crohn’s disease because of the way the colon looked. Five days later we got the pathology report back and found out that it was not cancer or crohn’s, but a severe case of appendicitis. The doctor said it must of been "smoldering" for some time and the mass they found was just infection from the appendix. What happened to me was pretty rare, most people have appendicitis come on within 24-48 hours. I don't know why I was elected the lucky one to have such a rare case. Why couldn't it be the lottery or something? So, because of appendicitis that had gone wild, I now get to sport a 12-inch scar down my abdomen. I also get to say that I have had a bowel resection at the young age of 32. With pre-eclampsia last year, a bowel resection this year, I wonder what next year has in store for me?

21 comments:

Johnsons said...

Trace, No wonder I have been thinking so much about you. You have had the worst luck lately. I hope this is the end of the health issues for you, and I am so happy that it wasn't cancer or chromes disease. I hope that your recovery goes well. Love ya girl. I wish I could be there to help you.

The Burke Family said...

Oh Girl that doesn't sound like any fun at all! I'm sorry, that sounds painful I thought a c-section was bad enough! I hope everything is going good for you now!

Sydney said...

You poor thing. I hope you've recovered well and feeling better. Hopefully things slow down a bit for you!

adayearly said...

Wow Tracy, that is really scary!!!I had no idea that appendictis could do so much damage. I am so happy you are okay!

Johnsons said...

I meant crohn's disease. I am not the best speller in town. Call me when you get a chance, I don't want to call in the rare chance that you might be taking it easy and napping, but I really want to talk, so call me. Love ya.

Unknown said...

Oh man Tracy, you have had quite the time haven't you? Hopefully you are feeling better now. Wish I was closer so I could help you out. That is crazy!

GoatesGirl said...

Oh bless your heart! I am so glad you were able to get things taken care of. Sorry you had to endure that and I hope there isn't more to come! Take care.

The Larsons said...

What a crazy time. I am so glad things worked out for the best...although I'm sure it wasn't fun along the way. So happy to know you are feeling better!

Kristel said...

I'm so glad you are alright. I have been stressing! You are the lucky one to get to go thru all these physical trials. Hang in there...you are awesome!

Megs said...

Tracy,

I am so sorry to hear of your unfortuneate situation. I wish we were closer so we could help you out. That really sucks, but I guess it could've been worse?! Get better -k-

Josh

Cortney said...

Glad to hear you are okay, what a scary ordeal. You have our best hope and wishes as you recover. Hope the fam is doing well also.

Mindi said...

Unbelievable! So sorry to hear your news. I guess that puts a whole new spin on the phrase "problem area" doesn't it?

Melanie and Chauncey West said...

Thats CRAZy! So how are you now? Are your bowels and everything else functioning properly and are you able to be "normal" again? I am so sorry! We really take our health for granted until we have something "go wild" as you have!
I am glad it wasn't cancer.
love,mel

Larson Love said...

So sad to hear of your trial. Glad you are feeling better and that you still have your great sense of humor. Love to you and your family!

Angee Leishman said...

Tracey,
Hey it's Angee Leishman. I found your blog through Kristy's. I hope that's ok! I am so glad you are ok!!! I look forward to getting to know you better.

Francis Family said...

Wow. Crazy how fast things like that just hit. I'm so glad you are past the worst of it. We miss you here and hope your recovery goes quickly as possible! Best wishes!

Bridgett Johnson said...

I can't believe it. I'm so glad that you didn't have cancer. I hope everything is healing well. We miss you guys.

Kristy said...

So glad you are doin better. But the H have you been China? We need to get together.

Tashina said...

Wow, what an amazing story. I hope you are feeling better now. We should get together sometime. The sad thing is that almost every time we are in St. George, we are just passing through on our way to somewhere.We can make it work though.

Cori Henderson said...

That is horrible! I hope next year you don't have any trouble at all! I love your blog by the way. Mine is www.cori25.blogspot.com You can check it out sometime if you get a chance. Hope to see you soon!!!

Zipporah said...

Oh my goodness tracy! I just found your blog and can't believe what you just went through. I have been complaining a lot lately and need to realize that things could be worse. I hope you are feeling better. Take good care of yourself. : )